Hampton Park, May 2010

Hampton Park, May 2010

Sunday, January 17, 2010

2 p.m. in the Garden of Good and Evil

Ever since I was a child and we lived right down the road from All Saints Episcopal graveyard near Pawleys Island, I've loved to visit cemeteries. We have plenty in Charleston - this afternoon we walked up to Magnolia Cemetery, stopping off at the Jewish cemetery and St. Lawrence Cemetery on the way. We didn't see any epitaphs to rival my and Emma's favorite so far: "She made good gravy." (All Saints, PI). We did find a name (Whitemarsh Seabrook Smith) to rival our current favorites, Obadiah and Czarina Brown (Morgan County, OH). I guess if you have a name like Brown or Smith you can get the urge to break out with a creative first name. I also spotted what is by far the most unusual child's grave I've seen, along with rows and rows of Confederate soldiers' grave markers. One thing I'm still waiting to find is a gravestone that says "Suffer in Torment" instead of "Rest in Peace."

No comments: